To the Optimum Community
The COVID-19 pandemic is causing havoc across the world and the extent to which it affects South Africa will depend on the quality of our response to it. Optimum is committed to playing its part by supporting the South African government, its agencies and our customers as they combat this virus and strive to minimize the impact on our country and its people.
The Optimum Group has setup a dedicated steering committee to manage our response to the virus and to ensure that there is prompt response to, and clear, transparent and regular communication with, all employees, customers, facilitators and learners
Developing occupational skills and expertise has never been more important and Optimum is committed to continue providing this much needed training to the South African workforce.
We will adapt to our customers’ strategies and responses to the pandemic and remain available to deliver training where and when required. Our training centres in Cape Town, Durban, Blackheath and Germiston all remain open for business.
In the event of any postponements our project management teams are available to help reorganise training schedules to try and absorb these postponements and still get as close as possible to the original planned completion dates.
Optimum is implementing COVID-19 safety regulations as set out by the World Health Organisation and we will will implement the following practices with immediate effect:
- Provide employees with up-to-date information on COVID-19 risk factors, symptoms and protective behaviors.
- Encourage employees to self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
- Promptly identify and isolate potentially infectious individuals.
- Actively encourage sick employees to stay at home.
- Implement additional sanitation and hygiene measures.
- Minimise contact amongst employees and customers by replacing face-to-face meetings with virtual communications.
- Increase our capacity for employees to work remotely.
- Cancel all international travel and non-essential travel.
Despite these measures, customers, learners and students can expect the same level of response and professional service from all our offices.
Learners and Students
Every precaution will be taken to ensure the wellbeing of Optimum’s learners and students. Measures will include:
- Increase the distance, wherever possible, between all individuals in the training rooms to the recommended 1,8 metres.
- Begin each facilitation session with awareness about COVID-19 risk factors, symptoms and protective behaviors.
- Make hand sanitiser available at all our venues and make it a compulsory practice.
- Monitor the temperatures of all participants using a non-contact thermometer in each training centre.
- Continuously disinfect door handles, surfaces, desks and other frequently touched
- Ask learners to use the same desk for the duration of the facilitation session.
- Ensure appropriate protective wear for food handlers.
- Facilitators to look out for any COVID-19 symptoms amongst their learners and themselves.
- Optimum Project Management Teams and Facilitators to adhere to strict sanitation and hygiene practices before engaging with customers, learners and students.
Online or Remote Classes
We are exploring which modules could be run online/remotely and what the requirements would be from all parties. More information on this will be shared with customers as soon as we have developed appropriate guidelines.
In the unfortunate event that any training is postponed, the Optimum Project Management teams will stay in contact with learners and customers to keep them updated and informed of any changes. We will continue monitoring and processing assignments and other deliverables to ensure the successful completion of the learnerships and qualifications.
Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated Is optional.
We have no doubt that this pandemic can be stopped in its tracks if we all present a united defence. We encourage you to stay calm, positive, keep on learning and keep on working! Our future depends on it!
The Optimum Team
Please consult the following resources if you need further assistance:
- The National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD) 0800 029 999 (available 24hrs a day)
- The South African Department of Health has launched a WhatsApp service where news and information about the COVID-19 virus is available. Just add the number 060 012 3456 as a WhatsApp contact and type ‘Hi’ as a message to get started.